Saturday, July 2, 2016

Travel Day 3 (Photos To Be Added)

Howdy from Gillette, Wyoming! Today we drove through the rest of Minnesota and through South Dakota. The shift from deciduous trees and corn to evergreens and sagebrush was very exciting for all of us in the car, and a bit mind-blowing for Garrett, who hasn't really car-tripped out west before. Before we got into South Dakota, we stopped to get gas and both Penny and I ended up making a friend. We stopped by Badlands National Park, and I picked up a few post cards, a sticker, and a spider guide book (because I love spiders, and I'm probably going to end up being the bug person at camp). I also took a metric crapton of photos, some of which I'll post here and some of which I'll just paste a link to.

We're going to end up at the camp site tomorrow evening, which will mean that I'll be in the land of no-more-showers and very-little-laptop activity. So that will be fun, yay for data.

I also spent a fair amount of today working through Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton, which I got for Christmas and only got to the end of the Revolutionary War in. It's been interesting reading about the unfolding of events between the end of the war and the Constitutional Convention from the Hamilton perspective, especially because it gives a lot more insight into the kind of person that Hamilton was, especially with regards to how much he is somewhat characterized as a "monarchist" even though the only thing that really suggested monarchism was a lifelong term. Although he also didn't trust people at all whatsoever, but had a deep belief in the potential for the American system so long as oppression of all sorts (whether it be from the masses or the aristocracy) was mitigated. The one problem with that is that you can't really trust in a system that depends on people shifting it. But he also worked with money which has a life of its own, so...

Anyways. Oh, we also finished going through the Cards Against Humanity deck that we started on Thursday, and we started coming up with our own Cards Against Geology game, which we'll probably be refining while we're out and about. I'm gonna head out for the night, but I hope you all had a good Saturday!

1 comment: