Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Caves Day 10!

So today we only spent half of the day in the cave since Julie had to go present a talk on some of the research we are doing up here, which was exciting. I got down into the cave fairly quickly, with very little actual fear attached, which I was proud of. I helped Penny and Julie set up the surveying device while the Australian camera crew and a local(ish) reporter duo recorded and took pictures of what we were doing.

Topside, we lounged about a bit during the heat of the day, but Garrett and I eventually got to setting up the screen washing station that we will be using tomorrow. It was a pain to put up the canopy, of course, and securing it so that the wind wouldn't blow it away was annoying since the station is on a very rocky surface, but we eventually got it done.

Another caver arrived, which is great because Garrett was helping Juan with the belay system when he could have been in the cave digging up fossils. Although, then again, we didn't have a whole lot of time to dig up stuff today.

The sunsets out here are beautiful and make me miss the West. I might one day move back out here, probably to Montana since there's great paleontology, awesome winters, amazing scenery, and it's also less smoggy. But that's far into the future. :P

Hope you all had a good Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment